Wednesday, July 23, 2008

During the week training....

My weekday training for the fall consists of 800m repeats (Yasso's 800's) and hill training. I find the combination of these two workouts yield improvements in my running very quickly. Both workouts are done solely on the treadmill. I love the ability to quantify my runs and be able to repeat those exact conditions as I ramp up the number of repeats. I have never made it to 10 repeats when I have tried this before....always found a cool marathon to run that I had not planned on running and it would throw a wrench into the middle of my training. Hopefully, I can hold off that urge and not do one until my target race (Bass Pro Shop Marathon), but I have seen good results from the partial climb to 10 repeats in the past.

800's......I do a 1 mile warm up and then go directly into my first repeat. I run the 800m at a 6:58 pace (that is cruising for me), and then a recovery jog for 400m and then back to the next repeat. I will work my way up to 10 repeats before I hit my taper.

Hills.....I do a 1 mile warmup and then go directly into my first hill repeat. I run a 6% grade hill at a 7:30 pace for 90 second (I never realized how long 90 seconds can be), followed by a 2.5 minute recovery jog and then back into the next repeat. I will work my way up to 10 of these also.

Thursday Night Run.....supposed to be a nice easy 3 miler.....doesn't always work out that way.

I really like the combination of these two workouts and hopefully with a long time to work up the repeat number I will see some good results.

3 comments:

Kim said...

You're a BEAST!

o2bhiking said...

Hi Doug - I was looking at some of the other blogs from people expressing interest in TNT and found yours. It is great that you are coaching. I have done 3 events and you coaches just do a great, great job - during training and on the course.

My first event was Anchorage in 2005. Wasn't it a wonderful course? Thank all of your participants for me, as a 2002 Hodgkin lymphoma survivor. Someday blood cancers will all be cured and they will have all had a part in it - as will you.

Well done.
Art in Virginia

JWC said...

You are kicking some butt on your work outs Doug... and with holding off on marathons until November, I'll bet you are going to be surprised with the pace you will be able to hold.