Saturday, March 27, 2010

Candy Cane Wine

Fermentation was very slow, so I checked my notes and realized it was not acidic enough. Added 1 teaspoon of acid blend and almost instantly fermentation increased. Racked it to a 6 gallon carboy and it is still fermenting....

It was rainy and my legs were tired after struggling through a morning 1/2 marathon, so I decided to make some candy cane wine. We purchased 144 candy canes on clearance after Christmas for next to nothing. I put together a recipe from several other versions I have seen......

144 candy canes

3 tsp yeast nutrient

1 tsp yeast energizer

fill to 5.5 gallons

Add sugar to specific gravity of 1.08.

After Kim unwrapped 144 of them, the candy canes were dissolved in water heated just below boiling, then added to the primary fermenter with the other ingredients. Once the liquid cooled down, EC-118 yeast was added to ferment. I plan to rack this into a carboy after about a week and then rerack as needed. Once bottled, it will age until Christmas time! It is a really nice looking red color right now.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Unwrapping those puppies is going to be so worth it when it's time to uncork a bottle. Hope we can hold off til Christmas.